With over 40 years of diverse financial experience, Larry Cook is the owner of Larry R Cook & Associates, PC located in The Woodlands, Texas.
With over 40 years of diverse financial experience, Larry Cook is the owner of Larry R Cook & Associates, PC located in The Woodlands, Texas. Larry has been married to his high school sweetheart for almost 50 years and when given the opportunity he loves working with his only daughter, who specializes in corporate law. His practice focuses on valuations, business transitions, and divorce controversies and when Larry isn’t at the office he can often be found traveling, fishing, or spending time on the tractor in the country.
Larry has participated as an instructor of technical courses, lectures and panel expert for many national, regional, and local conferences, on a wide range of financial topics. He has been a panel member on several close circuit television productions and web casts, written articles, and authored and co-authored financial valuation books.
Education and Experience:
Larry graduated from Sam Houston State University, Huntsville, Texas in May of 1972 and was a member of the first graduating class of Accounting Majors from the university. After college Larry gained valuable experience in industry as Controller and Treasurer of an industrial electrical contractor, as well as Benefit Plan Administrator of a Profit Sharing and Employee Stock Ownership Plan for the company’s plans. He was active in the investment decisions and valuation of the qualified plan assets, which sparked his interest in business valuation. Drawing on his ten plus years in industry, Larry provided hands on application of working with businesses providing estate, benefits and succession planning to the owners and employees of closely held companies. He was intrigued and attracted to the emerging emphasis and role that business valuation played in the process.
Larry has been engaged in numerous valuations, estate and income tax disputes representing taxpayers before the Internal Revenue Service at the appeals, district counsel level and provided testimony at trials. He has obtained a private letter ruling from the Internal Revenue Service, specific to community property state valuations of intangibles and decedent estates. Larry is frequently retained for valuation issues resulting in depositions, mediations, arbitrations, damage and losses, and private settlements in valuation and related financial interests and to provide expert testimony on same.
He has been engaged and assisted clients in the sale, merger and acquisition of businesses and business interests, provided fire and business interruption studies and negotiations, wrongful termination, wrongful death, contract disputes, shareholder disputes and worked with decedent estates, asset protection, succession, business transactions, wealth management and wealth transfer plans. Larry has provided testimony in Washington DC in a public hearing on Fiduciary responsibility in front of the Department of Labor on retirement plans, such as ESOP’s.
- CPACertified Public Accountant
- ABVAccredited in Business Valuation
- CBACertified Business Appraiser
- Certified Valuation Analyst
- Certified in Financial Forensics
- CDFACertified Divorce Financial Analyst
- Registered Investment Advisor Representative
- Securities Licensed
- Life, Health Insurance Licensed
- Family Mediation Trained
- Collaborative-Process Trained
- “Business Valuation Hall of Fame” award by American Institute of CPA’s
- “Distinguished Service to the Profession” award by the Houston Chapter of CPAs
- “Lone Star Path Finders” award by the Texas Society of CPAs
- The Financial Consulting Group
- American Institute of CPAs
- Texas Society of CPAs
- Houston Chapter of CPAs
- Texas Collaborative Law Institute
- International Association of Collaborative-Professionals
- Alliance of Collaborative Family Practitioners
- Texas Association of Collaborative Financial-Practitioners
- Institute of Certified Divorce Financial Analysts
- Financial Valuation of Employee Stock Ownership Plan Shares – author
- Financial Valuations, Applications and Models – co-author
- Federal Tax and Bankruptcy Court
- Shareholder Oppression
- Valuation of Private Entities
- Marketability and minority interest discounting and minority rights
- Purchase price allocation of intangibles
- Non-competition agreements
- Common stock value
- Civil Court
- Divorce Matters
- Property character
- Complex business entity structure
- Factoring / usury contract damages